The crime of public lewdness is set out in Penal Law § 245.00. Under that statute, a person is guilty of public lewdness when “he intentionally exposes the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits any other lewd act in a public place …” (Penal Law § 245.00).
Probable cause for an arrest for public lewdness consist of such facts and circumstances as would lead a reasonably prudent person in like circumstances to believe plaintiff guilty. A conviction requires proof beyond all reasonable doubt of each element of the offense.
Attorney for Public Lewdness in Manhattan
The attorneys at Greco Neyland, PC represent clients on a wide variety of criminal offenses that involve offenses against the public sensibilities including exposure of a person, offensive exhibition, public deisplay of offensive sexual material, and public lewdness.
Call today for a free consultation to discuss your case and possible defense.
Section 245.00 for Public Lewdness
Section 245.00 Public lewdness.
A person is guilty of public lewdness when he intentionally exposes the private or intimate parts of his body in a lewd manner or commits
any other lewd act (a) in a public place, or (b) in private premises under circumstances in which he may readily be observed from either a public place or from other private premises, and with intent that he be so observed.
Public lewdness is a class B misdemeanor.
Section 245.03 Public Lewdness in the First Degree
S 245.03 Public lewdness in the first degree.
A person is guilty of public lewdness in the first degree when:
- being nineteen years of age or older and intending to be observed by a person less than sixteen years of age in a place described in subdivision (a) or (b) of section 245.00 of this article, he or she intentionally exposes the private or intimate parts of his or her body in a lewd manner for the purpose of alarming or seriously annoying such person, and he or she is thereby observed by such person in such place; or
- he or she commits the crime of public lewdness, as defined in section 245.00 of this article, and within the preceding year has been convicted of an offense defined in such section 245.00 or this section. Public lewdness in the first degree is a class A misdemeanor.
Chapter 245 addresses offenses against public sensibilities including:
- 245.05 Offensive exhibition. VIOLATION
- 245.02 Promoting the exposure of a person. VIOLATION
- 245.01 Exposure of a person. VIOLATION
- 245.00 Public lewdness. B MISD
- 245.03 Public lewdness in the first degree. A MISD
- 245.11 Public display of offensive sexual material. A MISD
Finding a Defense Attorney for Public Lewdness in Manhattan
If you were charged with either Public lewdness under Section 245.00, a class B misdemeanor or Public lewdness under Section 245.03, a first degree class A misdemeanor, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney at Greco Neyland, PC to discuss your case.
Call us today at (212) 951-1300 to discuss your case today. Let us put our experience to work for you.
This article was last updated on Tuesday, June 7, 2016.
Midtown Office (Main): 535 5th Ave #2500
New York, NY 10017
Our Practice Areas
Meet Our Attorneys
Experience as a former prosecutor gives Jeffery Greco an edge in building the strongest possible defense strategy for the accused in New York City.
A thorough investigation is key to finding every reasonable doubt and getting charges reduced or dismissed for NYC defense attorney Dustan Neyland.
RECENTLY ON OUR BLOG